Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Wrong? You decide.

Yesterday Liz took Holly and Harry to the library for story time. Holly took out a dozen or so books and proudly  bought them home to show me.  Last night after our girls night (Andrew's away and Harry had a sleepover with Grandma) we curled up in bed and started to read the new pile of books.  The first one we read was lovely, the second one however was a little different.  We have a few baby books floating around our house - nice books that explain that Mummy is having a baby and the excitement that goes with it.  This particular book was called "Our Baby".  It started off quite innocent, a few pages it explains the mother is having a home birth (also quite fine), but then half way through, I turn the page and this is what we are looking at ........

 I was not expecting to see this - I don't really have a problem with it, Holly is quite geared up with information on where baby's come from and how they arrive into the world, but when you are not expecting these images .... well my reaction was to laugh my arse off ... it seriously caught me by surprise ... yes I know, very immature response!  Then this .....
 and then we finish off with a nice explanation of how the Mummy deliverers the placenta and the other siblings all crowd around it to have a look ....
I'm sure it is perfectly acceptable - I certainly know my cousin - who has had a home birth and her other kids watched - and is studying like a madwoman to become a midwife - would think this is great ....
Me ? .... the Jury is still out.
Although I still laugh when I see the pictures!

3 comments:

Green Mama said...

wow that really doesn't leave much to the imagination, does it? Obviously written by someone who doesn't like euphenisms. "look, mummy just pooed out a baby!'. I don't know that it's wrong, and would probably be good for older siblings (ie school aged) but do toddlers really need to know all the details?

Freeman said...

I don't think it is aimed at toddlers, its probably ok for 4-5+ year olds, just caught me by surprise!!!

Green Mama said...

I was horrified by the pictures in my pregnancy book, and I was 33!