Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Proposal

Lucy  asked me yesterday "How did Dad ask you to marry him? It's funny because I'm sure I have told this story many times, but in saying that I can't remember how Dad proposed to Mum. I thought I would write it down, so the kids always have it in writing.

It was 2005, we were holidaying on the Gold Coast and staying at Mum and Dads house at 40 Evergreen Drive Elanora. I wrote the address because thats where we grew up and at that visit would be out last visit as they were just about to put the house on the market and move to Kirra.

Andrew had planned to propose on this holiday, at the house, so (as he said) it would be my last memory of my family home!

So the day before, Andrew went outside to find Dad, he was always outside, building something, landscaping, gardening, tinkering or fixing something. He found him at the top carpark. Andrew says he was a little nervous but ok, he worked up the courage and said to Dad "So Fenton, what did you say to Jack when you asked for permission to marry Jenny?" Dad said "Pretty much that mate! Congratulations!" and that was it, the wheels were in motion.

The next day, a typical hot humid QLD day, everyone was out and Andrew and I were in the pool. We were lounging, relaxing floating around the pool, I had my legs wrapped abound Andrews waist when he started talking. He was telling me how much he loved me and how he knew this is what he wanted for the rest of his life (I didn't catch on straight away!) then he said the magic words "Will you marry me?" Obviously it was a big fat YES! I remember being so bloody happy and life just made sense. I remember being high on life for days afterwards, and the excitement of calling each new family and friend to tell.

That night we drove to Brisbane and had a celebratory dinner with Adam and Renee. We stayed at the Hilton for the night. I am thankful everyday that we were lucky enough to find each other.

No comments: